Dog is NOT a Man’s Best Friend in South Korea!

Ever read an article that made you want to pull off your wig in frustration? I would have said NO until I came across this article today – only joking, do you know how expensive wigs are?

I did tug at my wig though – just kidding. I did shake my head at the impertinence of the person discussed in the report. Now I may be exaggerating, but I couldn’t let this one slide . . .

Many Olympians travelled to South Korea to take on the cold, and win medals for their countries at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. As you may already know team USA were there and caused quite a stir. An American skier, who thou shall not name, was definitely barking up the wrong tree when he shared his thoughts on the controversial issue of dog meat farms in South Korea. He stated that ”Dogs are friends. Not food”. Of course, Rachel Cassiline, upcoming writer, had to rebuttal with, ”what are chicken, pigs and cows? Foes?” It’s only right that we keep the same energy towards all edible fleshes and sources of protein. Surely chicken farms deserve the same media attention and concern right? A lil chick told me that roughly 180 million chickens are killed ‘improperly’ every year. That figure will absolutely ruffle a few feathers. I don’t think I’m letting the cat out of the bag here, but chickens in America are fed Prozac and antibiotics to help them with the torture of being thrown into a grinder ALIVE! Yikes! I guess in the case of chicken – chicken is food. Not a friend.
The American Olympian put on a show during the games by proving to some Koreans that the stereotype of some foreigners being ”entitled” might possibly be true.  The said American skier rescued a puppy from a Korean dog meat farm and (he advertised his ‘’heroic’’ actions on Instagram of course) he educated his followers on Instagram of the statics and ill treatment towards dogs in Korea.
Now I don’t have to be a fan of dogs to know that we live in a dog eat dog world. I know this Korean cultural practice is a tricky one as it goes against the protection of animal rights. I understand that many people will feel as though the American should be applauded for his actions. However, some will feel that he’s practicing ‘cultural colonialism’ with his actions by using the power of his blue passport as a way of pressuring, and shaming a country to adopt HIS way of thinking; despite saying that ”it’s not his place to impose western ideals”. Silly moo! (I smell a wet dog.)
Whatever the case, his sentiments and actions is sure to incite side eyes, wig pulling, or explosive sighs and, perhaps smiles of admiration. But fiery rebuttals aside, this article led me to think about the stance the traveller should take when travelling outside of their country.
We all know that every country has its pros and cons, beauties and beasts, pristine peacocks and ramboesque rhinoceroses, peaks and valleys, and of course, dogs and chickens. There is always something that you will see when abroad that will have you wagging your tail in excitement, or on the flipside there will be something that will ”get your goat”. There will be times when the traveller doesn’t understand or agree with a culture’s way of life. That doesn’t mean you should throw your beliefs out of the window, or shun your views on them, but rather the traveller should be on board to see the world with refreshed eyes by way of respect and openness for growth and cultural education. If not, put the eye mask you were given on the plane on and wait for your return date back to your country!
Hold your horses guys, just so you know, frustration discerned in this article is not solely for the American Olympian. It stems from the disregard some travellers have towards cultural understanding. Remember

”respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners”. – Laurence Sterne.

But on the real who would eat dog? Dog cheese burger with added pickles, or Dog fried rice seasoned heavily with the finest organic herbs. Maybe thinly sliced pieces of dog, barbecued to perfection, sprinkled on top of a stuffed crust pizza. BBQ base of course! Comment below with a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ if you would eat dog meat. If you don’t give a monkey’s what others – including what dogs think also – state why you would or wouldn’t.
Right, I’m off to see a man about a dog (Only place I can adjust my wig in peace – Lol!)
hot-dogs-676469_1920

Share:

23 Comments

1. Shanade
    March 25, 2018 / 10:45 am

Although, I love meat I wouldn’t eat animals I’ve not eaten before. But it’s not because I care about the animal – I’m more afraid of new flavours and textures than anything else. So it’s a no for me on the bbq based pizza with dog but thanks got the offer!

2. March 26, 2018 / 12:24 pm

I don’t think it was his place to do what he did.. it kinda felt like a “This is how we do things in America, you guys are doing it all wrong” situation. He is welcome to have his own opinions but don’t enforce them on others. I personally wouldn’t eat dog meat (if I knew what it was) because I feel more attached to dogs than other animals but thats just me 🙂

3. Stephen
    March 26, 2018 / 12:27 pm

I particularly would never consume dog. For me it’s the thought and texture that would ultimately put me off.

4. March 27, 2018 / 7:55 am

Great read Rach! Not down with the dog flavours though.

5. Kayla
    March 27, 2018 / 9:01 am

No Dog for me.

6. Auden Allen
    March 27, 2018 / 1:06 pm

I like your perspective. We can humanise a dog and a cat and feel like we need to defend them cause we deem them as friends. But what about the cow chicken and lamb are they our enemies?

Check urself

7. Onique
    March 27, 2018 / 4:12 pm

For me personally eating dog is in the same category as eating a cat, shark or horse. There’s just certain meats although for others are perfectly acceptable to chow down on I couldn’t fathom consuming😩. I’m not particularly a fan of dogs but growing up in a Jamaican household certain food was OFF di menu and dog was certainly one ah dem – we nuh nyam darg🐶🚫❌

8. Denise
    March 28, 2018 / 12:27 am

Eat dog? Never! I can’t see myself eating dog! No way. Never, ever!! Fantastic read Fly girl. Insightful and engaging as always.

9. Momo
    March 29, 2018 / 11:31 am

I really like this article. It makes you think because I too was someone who would always be like HELL NO. I’m never eating dogs. I still wouldn’t, but it has made me see it from the perspective of those that do. It’s culture. It’s like those that east insects in certain parts of the world. It’s their food source.

10. David Malbranque
    March 29, 2018 / 11:07 pm

No Dog for me, in the western world we grow up counting chickens and other farm animals and then eat them for dinner in the form of chicken nuggets, how confusing lol.

I agree I think we have to respect other people’s countries and not just arrive and start turning into an activist.

11. JR
    March 30, 2018 / 6:05 pm

It’s no for Dog meat for me … I think purely because it’s something I’ve never had and the emotional connection Dogs have over chickens in society ..

I get your point your regarding them all being animals and it’s completly valid but you don’t really get raised to see Dog farms .. say as much as you would see a Chicken,cow or pig..

Dogs are seen more as pets to humans … I’m sure in certain parts of the world they also eat horses comfortably… but remember how much of an issue the horse meat scandal was over here .

12. Sephuine Morgan
    April 1, 2018 / 9:39 pm

I absolutely love reading your blogs simply due to your writing style. I have to say I would definitely not try dog or any other animal that I’m not conditioned to eat. It’s just the way the mind works lol. I am like 93.5% vegetarian trying hard to be 100% but fish hits the right spot for me. I guess the American guy just had a strong view and when you feel strongly about something you want others to feel as you do. But he should have been mindful of the feelings he could have hurt. If it was flipped the other way with something said against the American culture we would all hear alot more in the press.

Great Job Rach

13. Jordan
    April 3, 2018 / 8:59 pm

I remember back in the days, in South Korea ( Gwang Myeong ) to be specific, I was was in a company with some Chinese and that one day they served us meat which every other one of us enjoyed eating to asking more soup to be added to us. After eating, guess what, One Chinese then happily told us what we had eaten and yes! U guessed right Dog Meat. Everyone of us who ate without knowing felt like going for a food surgery so that meet can be gotten rid of from our Tammys but yeah we just left it. #DogNotMan’sBestFriendInSouthKorea

14. Shondaaaaa!
    April 3, 2018 / 11:02 pm

I’m all for trying NEW things but dog meat gone too far now man DWL I’ll just stick to what I know the original basic meets👍🏾 I ain’t eating no form of dog, no form of animal foot (chicken foot, cow foot) fellow Jamaicans will know🤣😩 ITS A NO FROM ME 😭

15. April Guiness
    April 4, 2018 / 7:30 am

You know me Rachel. My dogs are my life and the thought of eating dog does not appeal to me. I however could not say it sickens me because I am a carnivore. Different place different culture. Many talk about curry goat but are actually eating mutton. Me last night I had goat cooked by my brother. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some things do not float my boat and would not choose to eat them knowingly. How many of us ate horse…………….

16. Cynthiab@hotmail.co.uk
    April 4, 2018 / 7:31 am

I would never eat dog meat personally – but then again, I now follow a vegetarian diet. Someone once said that it is a very unpleasant, vile smelling meat when being cooked. However, I respect the right to eat it if it’s part of someone’s culture…just as long as tbey don’t try forcing it on others by sneaking it into a chicken takeaway here and there!

17. Tanya
    April 4, 2018 / 8:10 am

You’re such a great writer Rach! Similar to other posts, I don’t think I could try dog meat because I just LOVE my little doggy. She really is my best friend! But then if a dog/cat isn’t valued then I can kind of understand why.
    My friend has recently chosen to be vegan and after numerous conversations with her, I completely understand her choices. But that being said, we have been taught our whole lives to eat meat. I’m torn! Animals shouldn’t be killed in horrific ways and I’m sure most people agree with that.

18. Peter West
    April 4, 2018 / 10:40 am

I totally agree, Rachel! Awhile ago I read an article about how a lot of very traditional practices (this was about scarring and FGM in parts of Africa) are actually getting naturally phased out by younger, progressive generations from the respective countries where it is practiced. But when American “saviors” come stomping in, declaring practices to be barbaric, the practice then almost becomes a symbol of a culture under attack, and can actually strengthen that practice.

When I was in Korea, I noticed huge anti dog meat protests led by Koreans (one in Itaewon literally every weekend). So many Korean friends have pet dogs that they love just as much as non-Korean pet owners love their dogs. When the topic arose in class, I would say that 90% of my young students said they were against eating dog meat, while the other 10% said they didn’t eat it but weren’t bothered. It seems to be a dish most enjoyed by the oldest living generation of Koreans, (a generation that grew up in the post Korean War era when Korea was literally the poorest country in the world!). The dog meat industry in South Korea is not a flourishing one and will likely disappear over the next few decades, but when outsiders come in and criticize, who knows?

19. Kaily
    April 4, 2018 / 1:52 pm

I like your perspective and approach in this post. I completely agree! 🙂

20. DKM
    April 5, 2018 / 5:46 am

Animals are animals. Raise them humanely, but humanizing and anthropomorphizing one species (dogs) over others (pigs) is illogical.

21. Jeong H.J
    April 6, 2018 / 11:19 pm

I totally agree with you,too.
    Long time ago dog meat was an important source of protein because there was no sufficient meat for the common people.  Personally I don’t like eating dogs.However, I don’t want to blame people eatimg dog meat. We have to think that every person has is a  dfferent  perspective as like we have all different looking.

22. Phaidreams
    April 14, 2018 / 3:26 am

I love how you called out the hypocrisy of not only this American man’s actions but also the belief of most who think and act like him. I find it to be problematic and a flawed logic. There’s no right or wrong cultural belief or tradition but at the end of the day, regardless of whether we agree or disagree with eating dog meat, you managed to highlight the underlying message of the FACT that meat IS meat! Periodt! Full stop!

23. JJ
    April 27, 2018 / 2:32 pm

It’s a no for me doggggg!! 😂 Great read tho once again Dora and interesting point of view, very witty. I see you’ve got my sense of humour from all those thousands of miles away. But the only thing I think is, Ive yet to see a human walking a chicken. Until then I’m gunna stick to my chicken and pass on the four legged friends.